Wednesday, September 29, 2010

everyone is reproducing

Seems like lately everyone is pregnant or just had a baby. Last week two more friends announced buns in the oven. My sister in law is due in a few weeks and my brother/sister in law are talking about trying for another one in the next few months. I am left wondering, is it selfish of me to not want another one?

I feel like I've struck gold with Monkeyface. He is the greatest kid ever. I know every momma thinks their offspring are the best and brightest, but I truly feel this way about my son. How would I ever be able to love someone as much as I love him? I know it can be done. I am from a family of 3 kids and I know my parents love us all. But for different reasons and on some level in my heart brain, I think different degrees of love.  Does my dad love me the same way/amount as my brother? I think not. Is that a bad thing. By no means, but I'm wondering if the love they have for my brother and sister was diminished any when I came around.

I don't think I could love anyone like I love my son. I don't think I want to try. Does that make me a bad person. Maybe. But you know what? I'm ok with that. Just as I'm ok with everyone else reproducing (ok-most everyone else). That's the great thing with living in a society of free will and independence. You get to decide what is right for you. So for now I will be happy to play with nephews and the one niece I have thus far, oh and my Monkeyface. Hopefully in the future he won't ask for a brother or sister to play with. I just don't see that in the cards for you little man.

5 comments:

The Hodgepodges said...

You can ask Charlie, I've said on more the one occasion.... what if baby number 2 isn't as cute as Natalia? =) We did pretty great on the first try, I'm afraid of what baby #2 will mean. He he he.

Unknown said...

That is the graet thing about hearts and love, it just keeps growing. Do what feels right for u guys. If you feel your family is complete with just one, then go with it. My opinion is if you question it, maybe leave your options open. You will know when its the right time. But don't worry about love, we mothers have a way of falling in love with all our babies.

RORYJEAN said...

Do what works for you. There are many days where I wish I had just one- if only because it's hard to meet the needs of each of them at the same time. But, having had two kids, I've learned that the capacity to love is limitless. And I don't love my kids the same- I love them infinitely in different ways.

But, good for you for knowing what you want. That's half the challenge. I haven't really decided if I want three, but it looks like thats what I'm getting :) Yikes.

Michelle said...

love for the other siblings never diminishes or shrinks. im sure most parents dont have a cap or set amount of love they can share for their children, even when another one comes along, thye just learn to love that much more. if you're ready for another kid or even want another kid then cool, but dont feel pressured (to say you even do) from anyone else, especially if you've already got one perfect monkeyface. :) but seriously it seems like EVERYONE is pregnant or wanting to get pregnant again, etc.

Unknown said...

I agree that you hit the jackpot with Monkeyface..he is an amazing lil boy!! And I know that IF you were to have another, it would be just as amazing - its all about the mommy/daddy team (or in my case...the me team). I cannot personally imagine a world where all 4 of my kids didn't exist, but that is just my situation. When I was preg with Aaron I worried about Will not having enough time to be the "baby" and with Brady I worried about if I would have enough time for the other 2 and a infant...it's an ongoing struggle..but the love...there was never a doubt in my mind that there would be enough!! And I know you well enough to say with 100% confindence that you would have PLENTY of love to give a million kids. :D

I do agree with the others that say if you can say with utter happiness that you are done having kids than you shouldn't feel pressured to have more...no one can dictate the size of your family...but you! However...as Aunt Newt..BRING 'EM ON!!! :D

Post a Comment