You always hear stories about the possibilities. About how it has happened to others but I just assumed it wouldn't happen to me. I am now eating my words.
My son has decided that he needs to be a baby again. He is regressing. I assumed he'd at least wait until after his sister was born but with 2 1/2 months to go he is getting harder and harder to deal with. I'm sure his attitude is a combination of many factors; growing pains, different schedules, hanging out with Gma who doesn't really like to say "no", but I think a big factor is his realization that he won't be the only one around anymore.
I watch my 4 month old nephew 3 days a week, that combined with my growing belly, has him acting more like he did last year. He refuses to use his words anymore, he would rather throw a fit/cry/scream/yell then tell anyone what he wants. He has stopped being my helpful like man and instead shrugs his shoulders and as I don't know how. When I tell him something he stands there and gives me a look. Half the time I tell myself he's just testing me. That he's at the age where he needs to know his boundaries and his defiance is a learning thing. Other times when he want to crawl onto my lap, or wants me to carry him or refuses to feed himself I wonder if this would be happening if I wasn't pregnant. I don't want to blame myself/little sister but I can't help wonder if this attitude is some how my fault.
Not necessarily because of the new baby, but maybe because I'm not as consistent as I should be. Sometimes it's easier to let him have that other piece of candy or to pick up his toys for him. When you are always tired, who wants to fit with a 3 year old. I know I may be doing a disservice to his little brain by being so wishy washy but honestly, some days I don't really care. Yes, I know I may be making it harder on myself and the hubs when I keep changing the rules.
That is why I like to think its a regression thing. Because if so after she comes around, he will see that being a baby isn't all that's cracked up to be. That being a big boy gets you cookies and chocolate milk and super heroes. I'm hoping that this "phase" we are in right now goes away soon. I don't know if I can handle a whiny 3 year old AND a newborn. Especially with the midnight feedings and the lack of sleep.
So here's to hoping that he starts acting his age.
AND... if he is in fact acting his age, that he grows out of this stage SOON!
1 comment:
I feel ya. I'm right there with Apollo. He is super whiny lately and he NEVER follows directions or listens to me. I feel like I spend half the day sending him to time out or yelling. I wish I had good advice to give, but I don't. Just know that this too shall pass. Three-year-olds are so much fun but also so frustrating at times- he'll make a newborn seem like a cakewalk. Seriously, when Sunshine came along, after dealing with tantrums and all that stuff, a sleeping/nursing newborn was so easy I wondered why I ever thought the newborn stage was difficult.
Post a Comment